Candidates List – 2017-18
(Click icon above to navigate)
- All Schulich Graduate level students are eligible to vote at http://evote.yorku.ca/
- President Election Voting Period: Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, March 13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Students can only vote for one candidate for a specified position
- In the event a student is unsure whom to vote for:
- S/he can abstain from voting by choosing the ABSTAIN / NO VOTE option among the voting choices
- This would apply to that specific position only and would not impact your voting choices for other portfolios
- Monday, February 6th, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to Friday February 10th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
- Nomination forms and a signed copy of the Election Rules must be handed in to the GBC office (SSB W140B) by Friday, February 10th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Mandatory Meeting for all Nominees
Each candidate must attend one of three nomination meetings in full:
- Monday, February 6, 2017 at 5:30 to 7:00 pm (Keele Room E126)
- Monday, February 6, 2017 at 6:00 to 6:30pm (Nadal Room TBD)
- Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 5:30 to 7:00 pm (Keele Room E128)
Failure to attend one of the three nomination meetings in full may result in disqualification.
If a candidate for Part-Time Affairs Director is unable to attend either of these meeting times, s/he must arrange a meeting with Alisa Bialas, Co-Chair, GBC Election Committee email@example.com), to take place during the nomination period.
Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Campaign Candidates Forum
Candidates are invited to attend the Campaign Candidates Forum during the GBC general council meeting on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. in room E118. Each candidate may participate in a pitch & question and answer period. This forum is optional but all nominees are encouraged to attend.Candidates Forum will be recorded and made available online.
- A blackout period where all campaigning must cease and all campaign materials must be taken offline is from Friday, February 24th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. to Sunday, February 26th, 2017.
- Maximum campaign budget is $150 (not reimbursed). Any materials received “in-‐kind” will be allotted to the campaign budget at a fair market value.
- All receipts must be turned in by Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. to Alisa Bialas, Co-Chair, GBC Election Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org or SSB W140B)
- All candidates are expected to campaign in good faith. Any breach of campaign rules as detailed in this document may result in disqualification.
- Keep in mind that candidates will be held responsible for the actions of their supporters.
- Candidates may not run on a slate: confirmed candidates may not publically support any other candidate
Campaign Materials per candidate
- Two (2) Bristol board-sized posters (22×30 inches) in designated areas only (see Rules on Posting)
- GBC website posting (e-mail to two e-mail addresses, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
- A 300-word write-up about you and your platform and a short slogan (body of the e-mail NOT as an attachment)
- A digital copy of your photograph (in JPG format)
- A one-minute (no longer than) pitch video highlighting your platform (.mov or .mp4 format)
- CIBC Marketplace PowerPoint slide projection in 16:9 format (e-mail to two e-mail addresses, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Rules on Posting
- Candidates may display their up to two (2) posters in the following designated locations
- GBC bulletin boards (main floor outside of W140B or basement outside of Tuchner’s)
- Do not overlap posters with other candidates’ posters. Overlapping posters will be removed.
- Post only during the campaign period (Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:00 p.m).
- Posters found before or after these times may be grounds for disqualification
- Each candidate is responsible for removing his/her posters by Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Rules on E-mail and Websites
- Spamming students (via use of class lists, course codes, or group lists) is prohibited
- Limit posting on Schulich social media channels, specifically:
- Limit Facebook posts to Schulich GBC 2016-17 page
- Limit posting to once per 24 hours
- DO NOT POST on CLASS OF 2017 or CLASS OF 2018 Facebook pages
- Sending e-mails through friends is at your discretion – only allowed during campaign period
- Use of online forums for campaigning is permitted only during campaign period and must be removed by the end of the
- Candidates are responsible for:
- Taking their campaign websites offline
- Ensuring that their campaign e-mails are no
longer sent or forwarded after the Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:00 p.m DEADLINE.
- A penalty of a deduction in votes or disqualification may apply for failure to abide by these rules.
- Final decisions about penalties will be made by the GBC Election Committee.
Rules on Hand-outs
- Hand-outs are only permitted during campaign period, failure to comply will be grounds for ineligibility during the voting
- Keep it clean – clean up at the end of each day to ensure that the integrity of the building is upheld
- Any campaign litter found may be grounds for ineligibility during the voting period
Rules on Speeches in Classrooms
Short speeches are permitted with the permission of the professor ahead of schedule. Please respect class time and keep pitches short (30-60 seconds)
- Winners will be announced publically at a special GBC meeting on Wednesday, March 2, 2017 at 5:45 p.m. in TBD and followed by an e-mail announcement.
- Results will be posted on the GBC website and Facebook page on Wednesday, March 2, 2016